[Samba] changing server role = standalone server to 'member server'

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Apr 4 00:41:29 MDT 2014

Wel,

i've seen this behavor multiple times the last few days.

This is how i got to fix this.

stop the smbd nmbd winbind processes.

Remove the "old" dns record from your dns use samba-tool

Make sure you restore this this is correct
>Before I had in /etc/hosts:
>127.0.0.1   localhost
>192.XXX.XXX.77   ad.example.com  ad
>192.XXX.XXX.30   samba-4.example.com samba-4

remove the files ( im thinking your a debian/ubuntu user )
( and if unsure, backup this )
/var/lib/samba/*.tdb and /var/lib/samba/private/*.tdb
/var/cache/samba/*  ( incl dirs )

this is your error causing this.
>ads_dns_lookup_ns: 2 records returned in the answer section.

2 records returned, now samba cant fix it, it dont know which one to fix.
thats why you need to remove manualy, and maybe multiple times.

Greetz,

Louis