[Samba] Samba 4 replication causes bind dns to freeze

Nikos Mitas nkmitas at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 13:42:05 MDT 2014

Hello everybody,

Just in case someone else has the same problem, I think that I found a
workaround.

the default timeout for nsupdate command is 300 seconds samba_dnsupdate
runs every 10 minutes and queries/updates 20 records On a very busy samba
server (as in my case during initial replication), we have 300 secs * 20
updates = 6000 secs we also have many dynamic updates from the clients

what i did and it seems to work well so far, was to add this line in
smb.conf: nsupdate command = /usr/bin/nsupdate -g -t 5

so now we have some dns timeouts during nsupdate when samba is too busy,
but no more dns unresponsive.

thank you

Nikos Mitas

On Mar 1, 2014 1:28 PM, "Nikos Mitas" <nkmitas at gmail.com> wrote: Hello
again,

I still have the problem with Bind DNS becoming unresponsive when trying to
add a third samba 4 DC to existing environment. but when i stop the
processess on third DC everything is back to normal. after 3 or 4 days
testing with various options and settings, it seems that bind 9 becomes
unresponsive when samba_dlz is starting a transaction