[Samba] add Samba 4 to existing classic NT4 domain (and upgrade to AD)

Bram Matthys syzop at vulnscan.org
Thu Apr 3 09:04:04 MDT 2014

Hi,

Bram Matthys schreef op 2014-04-03 12:16:

> We currently have this setup (inherited from my predecessor):
> Samba 3.2.x domain with custom (mysql) passdb backend. This means the
> passdb *.tdb files are not being updated and all is retrieved &
> stored
> in MySQL.
>
> I would like to migrate this to a 'regular' Samba 4.x setup with AD
>
> Since the *.tdb files are not updated, I cannot copy the *.tdb files
> and go the classicupgrade route (from the wiki)

I just received a reply from Jelmer Vernooij. Just sharing in case
others need this:
You can use "pdbedit -i mysql:passdb -e tdbsam:passdb" etc. to convert
between the backends (or at least in 3.2.x).

Haven't tested it fully, but it seems to work, so then my original
question about Samba 4 joining a classic NT4 domain no longer applies.
(Though it may still be useful to others, I suppose)

Regards,

Bram.