[Samba] Variable substitution for profile paths in ADUC

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Wed Apr 2 14:45:23 MDT 2014

Hello Andreas,

Am 02.04.2014 22:31, schrieb samba.20.andwin at spamgourmet.com:
> thanks for your reply. I'm aware of the method you've described.
> The question is whether it is possible to dynamically allocate the
> profile path on client logon, like it was possible with the Samba
> variable substitutions for an NT4 domain. The steps you have described
> will statically replace %USERNAME% in the UNC path right after
> clicking OK in the corresponding ADUC dialog.

You can only assign it through the AD attribute or via GPO:
http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/03/setting-of-the-week-19-set-roaming-profile-path-for-all-users-logging-onto-this-computer/

The smb.conf parameter is just for Samba NT4-style domains.

Why do you need the username to stay variable for each account?

Regards,
Marc