[Samba] changing server role = standalone server to 'member server'

Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom chrome at real-time.com
Wed Apr 2 13:12:45 MDT 2014

I am testing a Samba v4.1.3 instance on Ubuntu 14.04 prerelease.
I set it up as a standalone server on a test network, and it was easy to set
up and worked fine. Now I am trying to migrate it to a different network and
join it to a Windows 2008 AD server.

When I try to join it to the domain, I get this error:

root at samba-4:/etc/samba# net ads join -U administrator
Host is not configured as a member server.
Invalid configuration.  Exiting....
Failed to join domain: This operation is only allowed for the PDC of the
domain.

I've gotten a Kerberos ticket already with kinit, so I know it can connect
to the AD server.

If I try 'testparm -s' I see that it shows "Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE"
even tho I have "server role = member server" in the config file.

Is there some database I need to clobber when changing the "server role ="
value?

root at samba-4:/etc/samba# testparm -s
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[cad-test]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE