[Samba] AD + smbd?

jimc jesmeyano at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 10:28:21 MDT 2014

Stupid question # 885:

Can Samba 4.1 be both AD server and smb server?

Some recent updates on my server broke a bunch of stuff. Samba was among
them.

I have managed to recover the AD server, but the smb server refuses to
take control. Whenever I run the 'smbclient -L localhost -U%', I get all
the correct messages, but no workgroup master.

Domain=[OZCO] os=[Unix] Server=[Samba 4.1.2}

_Sharename        Type    Comment_

     profiles              Disk
     netlogon           Disk
     sysvol                Disk
     jimc                    Disk
     michele              Disk
     Administrator  Disk
     Everybody         Disk
     IPC$                    IPC           IPC Service (Samba 4.1.2)
     Deskjet 940c     Printer     Automatically setup by HPLIP
Domain=[OZCO] os=[UNIX] Server=[Samba 4.1.2]

_Server             Comment_

_WORKGROUP    Comment

_Any machine that has Samba will take over as master, even if I ensure
the AD server is the first to boot.

How stupid am I being?