[Samba] One PDC, two subnets: Please wait while the domain list is created

Márcio Merlone marcio.merlone at a1.ind.br
Tue Apr 1 11:47:16 MDT 2014

Hi,

Very simple scenario:

Samba3 PDC  ------- pfSense ------- Windows XP
192.168.0.1                         192.168.2.0/24
(wins server)

On pfSense I have no restriction between lans, Samba3 is set as wins
server and has 'remote announce = 192.168.0.255 192.168.2.255'. Windows
XP has been joined to domain. A *local* XP user can map \\samba3\share
using a *domain* user, but a domain user cannot login on this XP
machine. Also, when changing domain on login screen I get this
well-known 'Please wait while the domain list is created' - which can be
dismissed with ctrl+alt+del.

Should Samba3 have a 192.168.2.0/24 interface too? What am I missing?

Sorry if this is so basic, have googled but found tons of results
regarding solutions and workarounds for the "Please wait while the
domain list is created" problem (which I don't care now), but none for
the inability to logon on the Windows XP machine.

Funny enough, Windows 7 works. :)

Thanks.

--
*Marcio Merlone*