[Samba] upgrade samba3 -> samba4, difficulties with koha

mourik jan heupink - merit heupink at merit.unu.edu
Tue Apr 1 11:04:50 MDT 2014

Hi all,

We've been running samba3/openldap in combo with koha for years, until
the time came to upgrade to samba4 AD. Did that last weekend, and today
I  tried to connect koha (3.12.01, I know, we have to upgrade) to the
samba4 ldap server.

We're using auth_by_bind, which should be supported by Active Directory,
checked principle name many times.

However, I can't login, apache logs says: " LDAP Auth rejected :
(uid=heupink) gets 0 hits". Using tcpflow, I can see that my dc1 answers
"600002020: Operation unavailable without authentication".

So, before I start doing bigger things (like updating koha, which has
always been running fine) I'd like to know if I'm missing something
obvious? I'm sure many people here are using (native) active directory
to authenticate to? Any tips..?

Here is my AD samba4 config:

  <ldapserver id="dc1">
     <hostname>dc1.my.domain</hostname>
     <base>CN=Users,DC=samba,DC=my,DC=domain</base>

     <replicate>1</replicate>
     <update>1</update>
     <auth_by_bind>1</auth_by_bind>

<principal_name>CN=%s,CN=Users,DC=samba,DC=my,DC=domain</principal_name>

     <mapping>
       <firstname    is="givenName"      ></firstname>
       <surname      is="sn"             ></surname>
       <address      is="streetAddress"  >our address</address>
       <city         is="l"              >our city</city>
       <zipcode      is="postalCode"     >our postcode</zipcode>
       <branchcode   is="branch"         >our_branch</branchcode>
       <userid       is="uid"            ></userid>
       <password     is="userPassword"   ></password>
       <email        is="mail"           ></email>
       <categorycode is="employeeType"   >A</categorycode>
       <phone        is="telephoneNumber"></phone>
     </mapping>
   </ldapserver>

Regards,
MJ