[Samba] suggestions for a "fast" fileserver - 1G / 10G

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Tue Apr 1 02:43:14 MDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-31 at 13:03 -0700, Linda W wrote:
> Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> > On 31/03/14 17:09, DNK wrote:
> >
> > [SNIP]
> >
> >> Except I now see that “/“ cannot be XFS. So that answers that question!
> >>

> > That's a RedHat thing and really down to installer limitations rather
> > than some limitation of XFS itself. It is perfectly possible to
> > convert a RedHat system to pure XFS post install, though it is
> > unsupported.
> ----
> It actually was a 'grub' thing... Suse had a similar limitation, but
> being a 'lilo' user,
> I never hit the same problem.  I've had root xfs since 2001 or so +/- 1
> year...

Off topic but nope, even the grub shipped with RHEL5 supports booting
from XFS, as shown by the xfs_stage1_5 in /boot/grub. In RHEL6 it is
entirely down to the installer and possibly the mkinitrd scripts. Anyway
XFS is the default file system in the RHEL7 betas.

To those whaling about XFS getting corrupted on a crash, never seen it
myself despite all my laptops being pure XFS since ~2001. Did in the
early days see files being truncated to zero bytes on a crash but it has
been a decade since I last saw that.

Also any hard crash carries the risk of corrupting your file system. I
have personally lost a 3TB ext3 that way. That is what backups are for.
XFS has a 20 year history in full production, which not many other file
systems have. Personally that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.