[Samba] Mounting Linux Samba Shares on Windows when Active Directory Server is down

Andy Liebman andyliebman at aol.com
Sat Oct 26 15:42:31 MDT 2013

Jeremy Alison wrote:

>>   [2013/10/26 11:12:29.712417,  2]
auth/auth.c:319(check_ntlm_password)
>>   check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [andyl]
>>   [andyl]> FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS
>>   [2013/10/26 11:12:29.712475,  3] smbd/error.c:81(error_packet_set)
>>   error packet at smbd/sesssetup.c(124) cmd=115 (SMBsesssetupX)
>>   NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS
>>   [2013/10/26 11:12:42.348928,  1]
smbd/process.c:457(receive_smb_talloc)
>>   receive_smb_raw_talloc failed for client 172.16.3.129 read error
=> NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET.>

>  You need to be using kerberos.ntlm needs access to a authentication
server to check access,
>  kerberos doesn't (the authentication info is already embedded in the
ticket).

>  Jeremy.

What do you mean by "I need to be using?' Where?  Have I misconfigured
something wrong on the Linux side or on the Windows side, and if so,
what? On the Linux side, it looks like kerberos is working.   At the
Microsoft support site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555092

... there are instructions for how to verify that kerberos is working
on Linux.

1.  Type in command prompt:  kinit some_active_directory_user.
When I do that, I get prompted for a password, and my password seems to
be accepted.  I get a return command prompt. I'm assuming this means
"it works".

2.  type:  klist
I get back info about what is in the "ticket cache".  I see there is a
ticket for "andyl" and information about when it is valid and when it
expires.  I assume this means it works.

So does this mean Windows 7 is configured wrong?  Thanks again for your
input.

-- Andy