[Samba] samba + kerberos + active directory with multiple domains

Winkel, Richard J. winkelr at missouri.edu
Sat Oct 26 12:32:06 MDT 2013

I've almost got this thing working.  I have it set up on a centos machine to authenticate logins and automounts to windows file servers.  But it won't allow me to specify a domain as part of the userid.  I can set a default domain in smb.conf and logging into that domain works like a champ.  And I can list the other domains with "wbinfo --online-status" (not sure what "offline" means but I can list the groups even in the offline domains).  But if I turn off the default domain in smb.conf
        winbind use default domain = false
and specify a delimiter
        winbind separator = \
and try "wbinfo -a somedomain\\someuser" I get "no such user".  I assume the local /etc/passwd file has to include the domain\userid as well, correct?  But maybe wbinfo -a doesn't reference the local passwd file.
In any case, here are krb5.conf and smb.conf.   Can someone tell me what I'm missing?
Many thanks for any help!!!

### /etc/krb5.conf ###

[logging]
 default = FILE:/var/log/krb5libs.log
 kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5kdc.log

[libdefaults]
 default_realm = COL.MISSOURI.EDU
 dns_lookup_realm = false
 dns_lookup_kdc = false
 ticket_lifetime = 24h
 renew_lifetime = 7d
 forwardable = true

[realms]
 COL.MISSOURI.EDU = {
  kdc = col.missouri.edu
  admin_server = col.missouri.edu
  default_domain = col.missouri.edu
  kdc = col.missouri.edu
 }

[domain_realm]
 .missouri.edu = COL.MISSOURI.EDU
 missouri.edu = COL.MISSOURI.EDU

 col.missouri.edu = COL.MISSOURI.EDU
 .col.missouri.edu = COL.MISSOURI.EDU

[kdc]
profile= /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kdc.conf

[appdefaults]
pam = {
        debug=false
        ticket_lifetime=36000
        renew_lifetime=36000
        forwardable=true
        krb4_convert=false
}

### /etc/samba/smb.conf ###

[global]
        workgroup = UMC-USERS
        password server = col.missouri.edu
        realm = COL.MISSOURI.EDU
        security = ADS
        allow trusted domains = yes
        idmap config *:backend = rid
        idmap config *:range = 1000-60000
        idmap uid = 60001-100000
        idmap gid = 60001-100000
        winbind use default domain = false
        winbind offline logon = true
        winbind separator = \
        netbios name = ZENA
        server string = Rouder Centos Samba Server Version %v
        interfaces = 128.206.38.63
        hosts allow = 128.206. 10.7.
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50