[Samba] Mounting Linux Samba Shares on Windows when Active Directory Server is down

Andy Liebman andyliebman at aol.com
Fri Oct 25 16:36:47 MDT 2013

Hi,

I am running Samba 3.6.19 and making my way through all the Active
Directory documentation.  I have joined various Linux boxes to a
Windows Server 2008 R2 Active Directory domain.  Windows 7 users who
log on with their domain accounts can mount the correct shares exported
by the Linux boxes without having to supply any additional credentials.
 All working perfectly!

However, I have a question about whether there is anything I can do to
allow Windows users to mount those same Linux shares if the Active
Directory server is down/unreachable.  I am able to log onto Windows 7
with domain accounts even when the Active Directory server is down (at
least for some amount of time -- as long as the cached credentials are
good). However, if I try browse the Linux box to mount shares, I get a
popup dialog from Windows telling me, in essence, the Active Directory
server is unreachable and there is no way to authenticate me.

Is there any way for Windows and Linux to do a "caching dance" so that
Windows users are able to mount the Linux shares at least for some
amount of time via cached credentials if the Active Directory server is
down?  Setting the smb.conf option "winbind offline logon = true"
doesn't seem to help here.

Is this possible with Samba 3.6.x?

Looking forward to some helpful replies!  Thanks in advance.

Andy Liebman