[Samba] SolidWorks 2013 performance problems

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Oct 24 01:17:55 MDT 2013

Hai Yes,

first upgrade your samba version. ( http://www.enterprisesamba.com/old/samba-3/ )
add the sernet samba repo for ubuntu precise and upgrade to version 3.6.19
and test again.

second.
If copy for example a large file to the share and what is the speed your seeing? ( in windows )
when done,

apply this. ( read http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=247 )
netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled
( this is the default : netsh interface tcp set global autotuningl=normal )
and test again.

SolidWorks also have a history of locking problems, can you post your smb.conf.
Im not the locking expert, but maybe someone else knows, if your using wrong settings.

wat does the performance test say :
( Start > All Programs > SolidWorks ???? > SolidWorks Tools > SolidWorks Performance Test and SolidWorks Rx utilities. )
Have you disabled all the useless Win7 "bling" ?
Do you have the Aero theme enabled?

There are more settings to improve the network speed on windows 7, just google for it.

And read this http://www.3dcadworld.com/why-solid-edge-matters-part-2/
and tell your suppliers that they should go support linux, and that
you?re considering migrating away from SolidWorks, because of this bad support.

Good luck.

Louis