[Samba] SolidWorks 2013 performance problems

Paul Tötterman paul at zenrobotics.com
Thu Oct 24 00:43:14 MDT 2013

Hi,

We're having performance problems with SolidWorks on our shares.
Copying the entire entire solidworks project to local disk and opening
from there takes around 30s, but opening from the share directly takes
minutes.

Apparently solidworks knowledge base has this to say about Samba:

> The official policy with regards to Linux Samba is that our legal department has advised us that the Open Source Agreement is incompatible with SolidWorks as a commercial organization and as such we are instructed in Technical Support not to support this operating system.

> In Technical Support our experience with files being accessed from Linux Samba servers is that this in itself can generate instability in SolidWorks.  By the instructions of our legal department we cannot investigate the root cause of these instabilities.

I'm at a loss how to even debug the performance since the windows
client seems to behave perfectly reasonably. We're using SolidWorks
2013 with the latest patches (service pack 4?), samba 3.6.3-2ubuntu2.2
from Ubuntu LTS 12.04 and 64bit Windows 7 Pro.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Paul