[Samba] idmap problems after update from 3.0.33 to 3.6.6

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Oct 23 10:05:27 MDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-10-23 at 15:21 +0200, Thomas Attenberger wrote:
> Thanks for your help.
>

> How can I manually populate the rfc2307 attributes?
>

> Before I tried it with "backend = ad", but then "wbinfo -u" lists only
> local users.
> Now it seems, there's no difference between using ad or tdb.
>

> Do I really need to use rfc2307 mode? Before I was running samba 3.0
> without it...
>

> What can I do now?

Hi
I can't help with the tdb method but your smb.conf is good to go for the
ad backend. To use it, you will have to add the rfc2307 attributes to
the 2008 box somehow. You can add e.g. uidNumber number to users under
the Unix tab on ADUC on your existing DC.

Another good way to get the attributes would be to join a Samba4 machine
to the domain as another DC. It's then a simple matter to wrap a script
around ldbmodify to dump the attributes into AD from that box and let
replication do the rest.

Do you have a lot of users?
Steve