[Samba] Samba 4 Consistent uid gid mapping across servers.

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 22 12:36:49 MDT 2013

On 22/10/13 18:30, Gints Neimanis wrote:
> On 10/22/2013 07:03 PM, Taylor, Jonn wrote:
>> On 10/22/2013 08:56 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
>

>>> Windows 2003 didn't come with SFU, it had to be added, but windows
>>> 2003R2 did, there is the difference. I personally do not find the very
>>> easy job of compiling and provisioning Samba 4.1 exciting ;-)
>>>
>>> I think if you start from a new provision of Samba 4.1 ( using
>>> --use-rfc2307) then all of your problems will disapear.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>
> Clean provision always is good idea, but I have >1000 existing user
> base, group policies and wished to keep them all.
>

>> I just went though something like this. Our domain was a 2003 not
>> 2003R2. The way I did it was to add a 2003 DC back to the domain,
>> install SFU and the demote the 2003 DC. I then took this a bit further
>> and upgraded the domain to 2008R2 by running the MS utility to upgrade
>> the domain. I then joined a 2008R2 server to the domain just to make
>> sure there were no problem and then took it back out. You may be able to
>> use the domain upgrade utility to add what you need without adding a
>> 2003 server.
>>
>> Jonn
>>
> Thank for sharing ideas!
>
> G.

In that case, the way you are going makes sense, provision samba 4 with
your realm and domain and then dump the schema as before, you should now
be able to use diff to compare the two files (but I still think that
there may be problems here) , the difference being what you need to add
to your original server, there is a web page on the samba wiki about
extending the samba 4 schema, good luck.

Rowland