[Samba] printer spool directory

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Mon Oct 21 14:18:23 MDT 2013

Hello Jimc,

Am 21.10.2013 21:46, schrieb jimc:
>  I've noticed that every time I install Samba 4, I need to create a
> /usr/local/samba/var/spool directory and give it 777 permissions.
>
> If I don't do that, I can't share the printers with my windoze machines.
>
> Is this by design? Should this be put into the how-to?

The spool directory is a share like every other share, what means that
the folder you have to create always by yourself.

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_as_a_print_server#Setup_the_.5Bprinters.5D_share
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_as_a_print_server#Sharing_a_printer_with_Samba

Btw. you don't need 777 on the spool directory. You only need write
permissions for users, who print through this server.

Regards,
Marc