[Samba] Bug vfs module gpfs:winattrs ?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Mon Oct 21 11:35:41 MDT 2013

On 21/10/13 11:25, Alexander Födisch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> does this bug still exists:
> http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/IPyW4fzzpEetiWKnJyfJ ?
>
> It seems that I have the same problem, although "store dos attributes"
> is set (Samba 3.6.18;  GPFS 3.5.0-11).
> Here my share definition:
>
> [shared]
>          comment           = <comment>
>          path                    = <path>
>          available              = yes
>          browseable          = no
>          read only               = no
>          inherit acls            = no
>          inherit owner           = yes
>          inherit permissions     = yes
>          store dos attributes    = yes
>          root preexec            = /usr/local/sbin/create_shared.sh "%u"
>          nt acl support          = yes
>          valid users             = <group list>
>          hide files              =
> /~$*/_*/:*/.*/.AppleDB/.AppleDouble/.bin/.AppleDesktop/Network Trash
> Folder/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/TheFindByContentFolder/Temporary
> Items/desktop.ini/
>          vfs objects             = gpfs
>          gpfs:winattrs           = yes
>          gpfs:sharemodes    = no

Hum some strange options on your share there for a GPFS file system. I
would personally kill the following options

         inherit acls            = no
         inherit owner           = yes
         inherit permissions     = yes
         nt acl support          = yes

And just use NFSv4 ACL's in the file system with

	ea support = yes
	store dos attributes = yes
	map readonly = no
	map archive = no
	map system = no
	map hidden = no

Something like this is also required to make it work safely and properly.

         gpfs : sharemodes = yes
         gpfs : winattr = yes
         force unknown acl user = yes
         nfs4 : mode = special
         nfs4 : chown = no
         nfs4 : acedup = merge

Note having the gpfs : sharemodes as no is really a bad idea, as even
local access to a file can muck things up.

I would have also thought that having the fileid vfs module loaded is a
good idea on a GPFS based Samba server.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.