[Samba] DFS share: free space?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Mon Oct 21 07:59:00 MDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 15:08 +0200, Alexander Födisch wrote:
> Yes, that was my idea too. But I don't have any idea how to calculate the free space on multiple shares...
> But we find out, that Windows 7 doesn't let you copy files larger than 50GB to the share, but other tools like
> Beyond Compare does.

The dfree command options can be specified on a per share basis. Though
you could write a short C program that took the provided path, called
getcwd to find the real path and then did a statfs. That would probably
work.

The reason for the failure is because Windows 7 checks for the free
space on the disk before attempting the copy and if there is
insufficient free space it simply gives up before attempting the copy.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.