[Samba] Replacing SBS2003 DC with Samba4

Oliver Partridge oliver at whitedalton.co.uk
Mon Oct 21 00:11:58 MDT 2013

Hi, this is the scenario:

We have an SBS2003 R2 acting as DC only, no exchange, it is old and creaky and I would like to replace it with Samba4. There is another Win2k3 application server and then 13 Win7 clients.

I can get to the stage where the Samba4 (Zentyal) box is acting as an additional DC to the SBS2003 DC. As I then understand it, I would need to transfer the FSMO roles onto Samba which will demote the SBS2003.

My question then:

1. Is this scenario possible, using samba4 as an additional DC, then transferring roles to make it the only DC (thereby demoting SBS2003).