[Samba] File share permissions act different on member server than on DC

Davor Vusir davor.vusir at live.se
Sat Oct 19 01:15:46 MDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Muehlfeld
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:06 AM
To: Keith McCormick ; samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] File share permissions act different on member server than on DC

Hello Keith,

Am 15.10.2013 03:29, schrieb Keith McCormick:
> To enable my member server's ACLs to work just like the DC, as far as
> Windows is concerned, I needed to add the following parameters to the
> global section of smb.conf file on the member server:
>
>          vfs objects = acl_xattr
>          map acl inherit = yes
>          store dos attributes = Yes
>
> These parameters are apparently added in the background by default for
> the smbd processes that are spawned by samba. Until I added those items,
> just like you I could never get the ACLs to stick and work correctly.
> Many of them were incorrectly labeled, also, even though the number was
> correct and the same as on the DC.
>
> Something to note: I believe the vfs object parameter does require that
> xattrs work on the file system that you use.

Thanks for that information. I'll try that later and give feedback.

Regards,
Marc

Hi!

I'm running a combined DC and file server using LVM. Data is on different volumes. And to get rid of the annoying ACEs you first mentioned, Marc, I had to put the parameters Keith mentions in the section of the actual share.

Regards
Davor

root at ostraaros:/usr/src/samba-v4-1-test# more /etc/fstab
/dev/mapper/data-familjen /data/familjen  ext4    acl,user_xattr  0 2

root at ostraaros:/usr/src/samba-v4-1-test# more /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf
[Familjen]
        path = /data/familjen
        read only = No

        csc policy = disable