[Samba] [3.6.8] XP fails with error 1326

Winfried codecomplete at free.fr
Mon Oct 14 06:45:46 MDT 2013

No, but I finally found the issue: I was using an older version of the OS
instead of checking if a new version was available :-/ The latest worked
right away after downloading and activating the Samba module. I should have
checked that, first thing.

Then, all I needed to share files with any user without adding any user
account to Slax (either Unix or Samba) is this smb.conf:
<code>
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
;Not neeeded, but in case you don't like the hostname
netbios name = LINUX

;Important: Otherwise, doesn't switch to Unix "nobody" -> Err 5 Access
denied
security = share

;if you need to investigate : 2 or 3
;log level = 2

[test]
path=/tmp
read only = yes
guest ok = yes
</code>

What I've learned:
1. Use the latest OS
2. In case Samba isn't working as exepcted, use "log level =2" or even "= 3"
to investigate, as it provides more information than what Windows says.

Thanks a lot for your help.