[Samba] Problems joining Samba4 domain [resolved]

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 14 06:56:48 MDT 2013

On 14/10/13 13:29, X-Dimension wrote:
> Am 14.10.2013 06:43, schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
>> On Sun, 2013-10-13 at 14:29 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
>>
>>> Just how closely did you follow the webpage you posted in your OP? , it
>>> seems to be using the standard samba4 packages from Ubuntu, which if I
>>> remember correctly are broken. Also there is a howler on the webpage
>>> you
>>> posted, you are advised to create a share called [global] , this is the
>>> standard top share that you will find in any smb.conf.
>>>
>>> I would advise you to compile samba4 yourself, it is easy, see here:
>>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba
>>>
>>> I would also suggest that you use the latest tarball (4.1.0)
>> I totally agree.  We are only now getting current Samba 4.0 packages
>> into Debian unstable, and Ubuntu's package, particularly on 12.04 is
>> very, very old.
>>
>> Start with current code, and then get network traces and log files if
>> you still have issues.
>>
>> Andrew Bartlett
>>
> I'm using Samba 4.0.5 from Zentyal 3.0 PPA now, and this resolved my
> problem!
>
> But after updating from Samba 4 alpha 17 to  Samba 4.0.5, i have file
> permission problems now.
> I will describe my problems in another mail to the samba mailing list.
>
> Thanks so far guys! :)

Well, if you will not compile the latest & greatest Samba 4, you might
as well use the latest available deb from here: http://enterprisesamba.com/
You will have to register, but will get 4.0.10 which is the latest in
the 4.0 series.

I still think that you would be better off compiling it yourself, it is
very very easy.

Rowland