[Samba] File share permissions act different on member server than on DC

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Sun Oct 13 14:31:33 MDT 2013

Hello,

a while ago I wrote the
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_and_configure_file_shares HowTo.

When I wrote the HowTo, I setup and configured the share on a DC - what
still works like described. Today I tried the first time to do exactly
the same on a 4.0.10 and 4.1.0 _member server_, and it doesn't work there.

The share in smb.conf:
[demo]
    path = /srv/samba/Demo
    read only = no

The folder in the filesystem (XFS):
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root        6 13. Okt 22:16 /srv/samba/Demo

I connect to the share as Domain Admin, right-click to it and go to the
"security" tab. Here I see now "everyone" and two "root" entries.
- I click the "edit" button and remove the two "root" entries. When I
click "apply", everything is reset (the two entries went back".
- If i grant "modify" to "everyone" - where all "allow" entries are
empty per default and click "apply", then all boxes are checked
automatically (full access) and "CREATOR OWNER" and "CREATOR GROUP"
appear. And this two can't be removed as well any more.

If I do exactly the same on a DC, then already the security tab shows on
the first time I open it very different settings. The wiki screenshot
shows them:
http://wikiupload.samba.org/images/8/8f/Demo_Share_Security.png). But
the folder on Linux side is also just 755 (and without any extended ACLs
when I begin). Also whatever I change (like remove "root" from the ACLs)
everything is done like expected and saved.

The member server is also self compiled. I installed all packages on my
RHEL6 that I have installed on the DC too.

Any idea what could be different on a 4.x member than on a DC? Or did I
find a bug?

Regards
Marc