[Samba] samba_upgradedns output

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Oct 11 13:22:00 MDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-10-09 at 13:22 -0700, Scott Goodwin wrote:
> When I run:
>  # samba_upgradedns --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ
> I get the following:
> lpcfg_load: refreshing parameters from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file "/etc/samba/smb.conf"
> Reading domain information
> lpcfg_load: refreshing parameters from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file "/etc/samba/smb.conf"
> DNS accounts already exist
> No zone file /var/lib/samba/private/dns/MYDOMAIN.COM.zone
> DNS records will be automatically created
> DNS partitions already exist
> Adding dns-earl account
> See /var/lib/samba/private/named.conf for an example configuration include
> file for BIND
> and /var/lib/samba/private/named.txt for further documentation required for
> secure DNS updates
> Finished upgrading DNS
>
> What does the line "No zone file
> /var/lib/samba/private/dns/MYDOMAIN.COM.zone" mean? Or rather, I know what
> it means, but what is the file itself supposed to do?
> In all the Samba4 documentation, I don't see any indication on where this
> file is supposed to be created.  I even see references here:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Dns-backend_bind#Interaction_with_AppArmor_or_SELinux
> (the
> SELinux settings) where this file is mentioned, but no other indication
> anywhere on what its purpose is, or what should be in it. I mean,
> obviously, it's a zone file, but for what? Aren't the zones kept in the tdb
> files now?  Is this a relic from the BIND9_FLATFILE backend, and the
> documentation hasn't been updated?

Patches to the script to clarify this most welcome.  A script that was
originally only for upgrades from FLATFILE to DLZ was extended, and it
should now check for the partition first, before looking for a
flat-file.  Certainly it shouldn't suggest it is re-generating DNS when
it won't do that.

Andrew Bartlett