[Samba] Samba4 - PDC - RHEL6 - Slow browsing from Mac clients

Paul Older paul at fresh-tech.it
Fri Oct 11 10:15:35 MDT 2013

On 11/10/2013 17:04, "Jeremy Allison" <jra at samba.org> wrote:

>On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 11:36:41AM +0000, Paul Older wrote:
>>   *   A few years ago, Samba made changes to their licensing meaning
>>Apple could apparently no longer use it in a commercial release (so I've
>>read)
>
>No No No !!!!!
>
>"Apple could apparently no longer use it in a commercial release"
>
>I *hate* this myth, it's *completely* untrue. Where
>did you read this ?

Apologies - my source is quite unofficial and now also apparently wrong.
For info, I read it here:

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/24/apple-to-drop-samba-networking-tools-from-li
on

As Mac OS X adopted more of Samba's tools, the team behind Samba gradually
transformed the open source licensing for its software. The latest version
of Samba is offered only with General Public License Version 3 (GPLv3
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>) licensing, which includes
restrictions that essentially prevent Apple from incorporating it into
commercially packaged software like Mac OS X.