[Samba] Samba4 - PDC - RHEL6 - Slow browsing from Mac clients

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Oct 11 10:04:04 MDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 11:36:41AM +0000, Paul Older wrote:
> I think I'm unravelling the mystery  I have on this one. I believe the situation to be as follows:
>
>   *   Apple used to deploy the actual open source Samba system with it OSX.
>   *   A few years ago, Samba made changes to their licensing meaning Apple could apparently no longer use it in a commercial release (so I've read)

No No No !!!!!

"Apple could apparently no longer use it in a commercial release"

I *hate* this myth, it's *completely* untrue. Where
did you read this ?

Samba changed from GPLv2+ to GPLv3+, a license that
Apple lawyers helped to create (they were on the
committees that did so).

GPLv3 has provisions protecting projects from
software patents asserted by contributing companies
against Samba users and developers.

Apple decided they didn't want to share their
software patents with Samba or other companies
using Samba, so decided to remove *all* GPLv3
software from their products. IBM, Google, HP,
and many, many other large companies do not
have a problem with GPLv3 code in commercial
products, only Apple.

Jeremy.