[Samba] [3.6.8] XP fails with error 1326

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 11 05:19:19 MDT 2013

On 11/10/13 11:39, Winfried wrote:
> Started over by removing the Windows host from the equation, and connecting
> to Samba from within the server.
>
> ===============================
> # cat smb.conf
> [global]
> workgroup = WORKGROUP
> security = SHARE
>
> [Plans]
> path = /plans
> read only = Yes
> guest ok = Yes
>
> ===============================
>
> # smbclient -L localhost -U%
> WARNING: The security=share option is deprecated
> Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.8]
>
> Sharename Type Comment
> --------- ---- -------
> Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
> Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.8]
>
> ===============================
>
> I get the same error message when adding those items one at a time:
>
> ===============================
> [Plans]
> browsable = yes
>
> [global]
> guest account = nobody
> map to guest = Bad User
> ===============================
>
> However, when adding "invalid users = nobody" to [global], I get the
> following error message:
> ===============================
> nobody "tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD"
>
> [2013/10/11 12:13:40.210674, 0] smbd/password.c:731(authorise_login)
> authorise_login: rejected invalid user nobody
> ===============================
>
> So I figured maybe Samba requires adding the "nobody" user to its user
> database instead of just relying on the entry in /etc/passwd:
> ===============================
> # smbpasswd -an nobody
> User nobody password set to none.
> ===============================
>
> ... but no go:
> ===============================
> # smbclient -L localhost -U%
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
OK, as I said, I set up Ubuntu 12.0.3 server in a VM, installed samba
3.6.3 and used this smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
encrypt passwords = yes
log level = 2
guest account = nobody
security = user
map to guest = Bad User

[test]
path = /tmp
browsable = yes
read only = yes
guest ok = yes

There are NO users on the Ubuntu server apart from the root user and NO
users have been added to samba.

I created a test document in /tmp

I then fired up an XP VM, logged in and went to 'My Network places',
typed into the navigation bar '\\192.168.0.227\test'

192.168.0.227 being the ipaddress of the samba 3.6.3 server and 'test'
being the share

After a short pause, up came the share and I could open the test
document in notepad.

So, unless there was a drastic change between 3.6.3 and 3.6.8, either
your latest smb.conf is at fault or it is network fault or similar. Try
opening a terminal on the Linux machine and typing 'man smb.conf' and
then start reading.

Rowland