[Samba] [3.6.8] XP fails with error 1326

Winfried codecomplete at free.fr
Fri Oct 11 04:39:33 MDT 2013

Started over by removing the Windows host from the equation, and connecting
to Samba from within the server.

===============================
# cat smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
security = SHARE

[Plans]
path = /plans
read only = Yes
guest ok = Yes

===============================

# smbclient -L localhost -U%
WARNING: The security=share option is deprecated
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.8]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.8]

===============================

I get the same error message when adding those items one at a time:

===============================
[Plans]
browsable = yes

[global]
guest account = nobody
map to guest = Bad User
===============================

However, when adding "invalid users = nobody" to [global], I get the
following error message:
===============================
nobody "tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD"

[2013/10/11 12:13:40.210674, 0] smbd/password.c:731(authorise_login)
authorise_login: rejected invalid user nobody
===============================

So I figured maybe Samba requires adding the "nobody" user to its user
database instead of just relying on the entry in /etc/passwd:
# smbpasswd -an nobody
User nobody password set to none.

... but no go:
# smbclient -L localhost -U%
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD