[Samba] [3.6.8] XP fails with error 1326

Winfried codecomplete at free.fr
Thu Oct 10 09:19:34 MDT 2013

Thanks but still no go :-/

At this point, I can see the server (Looks like "netbios name" is required,
while I assumed its absence would have Samba use the Unix hostname), but
when I use "c:\net view \\linux", I get the familiar error 5 "Access
denied". Samba still seems to not ignore the Windows username and use
"nobody" instead.

1. # grep nobody /etc/passwd
nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/:/bin/false

2. # grep nobody /etc/shadow
nobody:*:9797:0:::::

3. # pdbedit -Lv
---------------
Unix username:        nobody
NT username:
Account Flags:        [U          ]
Full Name:            nobody
Domain:               LINUX

4. # pdbedit -x -u nobody
user nobody does not exist in the passdb

5. C:\Users\fred>net view \\LINUX
System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

6. [2013/10/10 17:27:45.997569,  2] auth/auth.c:319(check_ntlm_password)
  check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [fred] -> [fred] FAILED with
error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

7. # cat smb.conf

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = LINUX
encrypt passwords = yes
log level = 2
guest account = nobody
map to guest = Bad User
security = user

[test]
path = /tmp
browsable = yes
read only = yes
guest ok = yes

I don't know where else to look. Could it be some setting in Windows 7?