[Samba] Samba4 - PDC - RHEL6 - Slow browsing from Mac clients

Paul Older paul at fresh-tech.it
Thu Oct 10 15:40:34 MDT 2013

Hi,

I'm in the process of rolling out a brand new server as a Samba4 PDC to a customer with about 30 users. It's going well except for the fact that I now have some serious slow browsing issues from Mac clients, and that’s when only a handful of them are connected to the server.  Note that if I install software such as Dave from Thursby on the Macs, the speed issues vanish. Also, browsing speed is instant from the pcs on the network. Some details of the setup are below. I will post log files if that's useful but didn't want to clutter this communication if there is an obvious point I'm missing. Thanks in advance for assistance.

- Installation completed using guidelines here: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO
- the Macs are NOT bound to the directory, nor are most of the pcs (yet) but they are browsing fine
- Running RHEL6.4
- Using Samba internal DNS & LDAP
- Running on HP Proliant ML350p Gen8 with 8GB RAM
- uname: Linux hostname 2.6.32-358.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jan 29 11:47:41 EST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = CLIENT
        realm = CLIENT.LOCAL
        netbios name = TSCSRV01
        dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
        interfaces= eth0
        bind interfaces only = yes

[netlogon]
        path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/CLIENT.local/scripts
        read only = No
        hide unreadable = Yes

[sysvol]
        read only = No
        hide unreadable = Yes

[Other Shares]
        path = /mnt/data/
        read only = No
        hide unreadable = Yes

Can anyone help advise if I'm missing something please?

Thanks,

Paul