[Samba] Delay in vendor packages for Samba 4.0

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Oct 10 15:24:03 MDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-10 at 16:56 +0200, Klaus Hartnegg wrote:
> Hi,

> Standard procedure seems to be to compile it yourself, that wasn't the
> case with samba 3. How long do you expect will vendors like ubuntu need
> until they include samba 4? Right now the authors of the ubuntu server
> manual obviously haven't noticed that samba 4 exists.

The lack of packaging by debian-based vendors of the full Samba 4.0 is a
concern, but is addressed by:
 - the packages in debian experimental, soon to be in debian unstable
 - the packages provided by sernet

Presumably the Debian packages will be picked up by Ubuntu at some
point, but you would need to ask them as to what determines their
priorities here.

The Samba Team does not control what version distributors choose to
package, but I have personally worked extensively with the Debian Samba
packaging team to assist in their packaging work.

Fedora shipped Samba 4.0 as soon as it was released, but does not ship
the Active Directory domain controller.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett