[Samba] Windows 2008 Standard SP2 cannot access samba share by hostname but ok with IP

Jerome Yanga jerome.yanga at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 09:01:30 MDT 2013

Stephane,

A bit more background...

The original samba server was running on an old Solaris 10 SPARC box with
Samba version 11.10.0,REV=2005.01.08.05.16.  Due to it age and probably
because I may not have the parts to repair it if it breaks, I decided to
migrate this server into a newer box. We do not experience the errors I
enumerated on my previous email on this old samba server.

It's global configuration are as follows.

[global]
        workgroup = TEST
        netbios aliases = SAMBA1
        server string =  Samba Server
        security = DOMAIN
        map to guest = Bad Uid
        password server = dc1.sample.com, dc2.sample.com
        username map = /etc/samba/user_map
        syslog = 2
        log file = /var/samba/log/samba.log
        max log size = 256000
        deadtime = 5
        max smbd processes = 300
        socket options = SO_RCVBUF=32767 SO_SNDBUF=32767 TCP_NODELAY
IPTOS_LOWDELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
        load printers = No
        printcap name = /dev/null
        os level = 1
        local master = No
        browse list = No
        wins server = 10.1.1.1
        allow insecure wide links = Yes
        host msdfs = No
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        oplocks = No
        level2 oplocks = No

I had to change the global config of the new samba server as there are
configs above that testparm was complaining about.

regards,