[Samba] [3.6.8] XP fails with error 1326

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 9 09:40:11 MDT 2013

On 09/10/13 16:20, Winfried wrote:
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> However, I read that /etc/passwd only contains hashes and not the actual
> passwords, which is why Samba requires adding users to its own database.
>
> Could you share your smb.conf so I see what it looks like when only relying
> on entries from /etc/passwd and not prompting Windows users for their
> passwords?
>

> --
Hi, this is the smb.conf I used:

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
encrypt passwords = yes
log level = 2
guest account = nobody
security = user
map to guest = Bad User

[test]
path = /tmp
browsable = yes
read only = yes
guest ok = yes

Look familiar ?

man smb.conf has this to say about 'map to guest = Bad User'

Bad User - Means user logins with an invalid password are rejected,
unless the username does not exist, in which case it is treated as a
guest login and mapped into the guest account.

As I said the only user I had on the test VM was the root user and I did
not add any users to samba, so when I connected to the share, both the
user & the password did not exist, so I was mapped to the guest account
and as the share has 'guest ok = yes' I was allowed in.

Rowland