[Samba] [3.6.8] XP fails with error 1326

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 9 04:18:07 MDT 2013

On 08/10/13 12:09, Winfried wrote:
> By editing "log level" to "2", log.smbd nows says "Authentication for user
> [fred]" -> FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER".
>
> I read that Samba is able to share files with anonymous users, where all
> users will be treated as "nobody": If this indeed possible, what do I need
> to do?
>
> Here's my smb.conf at this point:
> =======================
> [global]
> workgroup = WORKGROUP
> encrypt passwords = yes
> ;wins support = yes
> log level = 2
> ;max log size = 1000
> ;read only = no
> guest account = nobody
> security = user
> map to guest = Bad User
>
> ;[homes]
> ;browsable = no
> ;map archive = yes
>
> [test]
> path = /tmp
> browsable = yes
> read only = yes
> guest ok = yes
>
> ;Still get ERR 5
> ;public = yes
>
> ;Err 6118: List of servers for workgroup not currently available
> force user = nobody
OK, so I set up a test VM and set up samba as above and tried to connect
from a Linux Mint 15 machine running cinnamon and got the same result as
the OP. On cinnamon the file browser has the ability to connect to a
server via 'File' --> 'Connect to server', now if I use this and enter
the samba 3 servers details etc it connects and I can read a test
document I placed in the /tmp dir on the server. Initially it did not
connect, but once I changed the 'Domain' setting that cinnamon had
filled in automatically, from my domain name to 'workgroup'  it did
connect, could this be the OP's problem?

Rowland