[Samba] [3.6.8] XP fails with error 1326

Winfried codecomplete at free.fr
Tue Oct 8 03:34:34 MDT 2013

Thanks for the help.

The "nobody" account was available by default in /etc/passwd. This is for a
home setup, and don't have a Windows7 to test.

Some feedback:
1. After adding "security = user" to the [global] section, killing and
restarting smbd/nmbd, XP still returns System error 1326 "Logon failure:
unknown user name or bad password." when typing "net view"

2. After adding "map to guest" to the [global] section, I now get "System
error 5 has occurred.
Access is denied."

FWIW, here's the "nobody" line in /etc/passwd:
nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/:/bin/false

If possible, I'd rather not have to add a user in /etc/passwd and a password
through smbpasswd just to share a few read-only files.

Thank you.