[Samba] Folder disappears on rename

Bernd Glueckert bernd.glueckert at ot-soft.de
Fri Oct 4 22:12:12 MDT 2013

> this sounds a bit like something mysterious I had had today at work on
> my Samba 3.6.18 server:
>
> - On the Linux server I downloaded a file to my home directory (was a
> simple *.txt file)
> - On my Windows PC I could not see the file, but it was there on Linux
> side
> - I renamed the file on linux and then it was visible with the new
> name on windows, too.
>

> A different user had the following today:
> - She created a file on the Samba share (same 3.6.18 server)
> - But it wasn't visible from a different PC
> - After about 3h it was suddenly visible without any changes.
>

> The problem wasn't reproducable on both machines a second time.

We have this problem too.

Samba 3.6.18 on Gentoo, W7-64-Workstations.

A scanner puts his output on the samba server, but it's not visible for
the W7-Clients. A couple of minutes later it's visible. Refreshing
Explorer by pressing F5 doesnt help.

Same effect happens, if user A renames a file. User B sees the old
filename, and few minutes later it's okay.

I think, this is reproducible. I will check this next week and give you
the information about it.

cu - Bernd