[Samba] client hangs

Doug Tucker tuckerd at lyle.smu.edu
Thu Oct 3 10:11:29 MDT 2013

Virus scanning was one of the early suspects.  For no real reason though
as nothing had changed.  The macs and linux clients though are affected
and neither have virus software installed.

That's a huge frustrating point about it.  It's is completely and wildly
random.  I can't reproduce it at all, I can only see it when it happens
if someone calls and I run down there really quick.  The only common
thing being that when it's happening to 1, it's happening to all.  And
during the time it takes to reboot, it probably would have cleared up
anyway.

Yesterday during a bad hang a user called, so I immediately tried to
smbmount my home directory (I usually just have it mounted) and it hung
for quite a while, then returned "resource unavailable". The server
seemed completely fine though.  About 2 minutes later after the caller
said it cleared up I was able to mount it. Looking at the server
everything seemed fine.  I could ping the server.  I could telnet to 139
and 445, so they were listening. Load was less than 1.  The file server
seemed fine.  Communication between the 2 was fine.  It seems like an
internal issue with samba somehow but samba itself hasn't been updated
since this started happening (it was already at the latest version for
the distro).

Sincerely,

Doug Tucker