[Samba] Experience getting winbind Active Directory login on a Samba 4 domain controller

Jacobson, Jared M @ CSG - CSW jared.m.jacobson at L-3com.com
Thu Oct 3 09:25:30 MDT 2013

Hey, all,

I had a lot of trouble getting login working for Active Directory users
on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Samba 4 Active Directory domain
controller.  Here are some things I learned that I hope will be useful
to someone:

1. The official build and deployment guidance
(https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO) does not address
SELinux.  Every other guide I read on the web said to turn SELinux off.
I have to have SELinux enabled in my environment.  Learning to identify
and address the problems caused me a lot of pain, mostly because I
didn't know about some amazing tools that are available to help.

When I followed the Samba4/Winbind instructions
(https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/Winbind) to allow login on the
AD DC, I got all kinds of errors, with console login, SSH, and graphical
login (GDM) all failing.  When I finally determined that SELinux was
preventing login, much became clear.

To see if SELinux is causing you problems, first determine if SELinux is
running:

# sestatus

If SELinux is enforcing, it may cause you issues.  If the audit daemon
(auditd) is running, SELinux will log its denials.  This will save you a
lot of effort trying to configure SELinux, as I'll demonstrate a little
later.  You can confirm if SELinux is causing you problems by attempting
to log in as an AD user and then grepping the audit log file.  My audit
log is in /var/log/audit/audit.log.

# grep denied /var/log/audit/audit.log

If SELinux is enforcing and you get output, SELinux is likely causing
you problems.  Try temporarily putting SELinux into permissive mode and
try logging in again.

# setenforce 0
# [attempt to log in on console interface]

If you can now log in, SELinux is the culprit.  The SELinux audit2allow
application will help you create an SELinux module with the appropriate
permissions to allow login.  With SELinux in permissive mode, attempt to
log in using all of the methods you're going to allow an AD user to use
(console, SSH, and graphical login in my case).  In permissive mode,
SELinux will not deny access, but it will log what it would have done.
(It's important to do this login step in permissive mode, because
otherwise you'll have to do multiple rounds of module creation; you'll
only get past the first denial on every round.)

# cd /tmp
# grep denied /var/log/audit/audit.log > selinuxloginfails
# audit2allow -M samba4 -I selinuxloginfails
# semodule -i samba4
# setenforce 1

Test logging in on each of the interfaces.  After doing this step I was
able to log in as an AD user on the console, but not SSH (due to some
security configurations in my sshd.conf file that I won't go into here)
or the graphical login.  Even on the console, I got some strange errors
after I logged in:

login: testuser
Password:
id: cannot find name for user id 3000018
id: cannot find name for user id 3000018
id: cannot find name for user id 3000018
could not get database information for UID of current process: User
"???" unknown or no memory to allocate password entry
["I have no name!"@server]$

This bring me to thing-I've-learned-2:

2. Even if mandatory access controls (SELinux) are configured correctly,
discretionary access controls can make your life difficult.

The default umask on my system is 077, so when I built and installed
Samba 4 the files were owned by root, and only root could access them.
When I followed the Samba4/winbind guidance, I linked to the libraries
that were installed in /usr/local/samba/lib, but the directory
permissions would not allow applications running under other user
permissions to access the libraries.  In this case, id and whoami both
failed to get data about the AD user, even after login succeeded,
because they were running as the user (testuser) instead of root.  Not
only could they not access the libraries, but they couldn't access the
winbind daemon, either.

On the console, this mostly just means that it shows you as user "I have
no name!", but the X server just completely failed to log me in, even
though the user authenticated correctly.  The gdm login interface would
succeed, but X would shut down immediately and kick back to the gdm
login prompt.

So I had to modify the permissions on directories leading to the
relevant files:

# chmod 755 /usr/local/samba /usr/local/samba/var
/usr/local/samba/var/run /usr/local/samba/var/run/winbindd
# chmod -R 755 /usr/local/samba/lib

This allowed me to log in on gdm and addressed the problem of no user
name on the console after login.

If you still have trouble after running these steps, log in on the
console as an AD user and run strace on id and whoami.  Pay special
attention to errors that say ENOACCES. For X (gdm) debugging, check the
~/.xsession-errors file for the user you tried to log in as.

Jared