[Samba] Must Samba4 AD be provisionned with rfc2307 to use winbind ?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Tue Oct 1 05:34:25 MDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-10-01 at 11:27 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:

[SNIP]

> Wrong, the first windows server that had 'uidNumber' as standard was
> 2003R2 .

That is what I said. However there where lots of 2003 and even 2000
servers that had uidNumbers in their schema. What you cannot do is
conclude because your AD has a uidNumber field that it is operating at
2003R2 or later. That is fundamentally flawed logic.

> So, if it was first installed 'de-facto' in 2003R2 and Samba 4 has it as
> standard, then samba4 should be 'level 2003R2', but then again it seems
> to be using the 2008 schema (at least that is the earliest I can find in
> /usr/local/samba/share/setup/

Like I said flawed logic, because plenty of 2003 and 2000 servers had
uidNumbers in their schema. What is important is not what the schema is,
but what on the wire protocol version that your AD controller is
compatible with.

I presume that if Samba4 is reporting it is a 2003 server it is because
there was some extension of the AD controller protocol by Microsoft in
2003R2 that Samba4 does not support.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.