[Samba] Which Samba version?

deejayen at hush.com deejayen at hush.com
Wed Nov 20 11:11:41 MST 2013

Following on from my post about problems installing SerNet on
Debian, and Rowland’s suggestion to start “yet again, forget
sernet, download and compile samba 4.1.1 and then use it just like
samba 3.6”.

I’m looking to migrate an existing Samba 3.1 PDC to a new server,
and thought that using the latest 3.6 release made sense.  I have
to replicate the old server on the new one, and make sure there are
no problems with the SIDs etc on all the existing PCs.  Basically,
the new server just has to take over, and work!  I did test this a
while back, and got a test migration to work with Debian Squeezy.
I’ve not used Samba 4 before, and always had it in the back of my
mind that it might not yet be as stable as 3, plus for now I don’t
need AD.  I thought it might be easier to just put the new server
in with Samba 3, and then perhaps look at an upgrade-in-place to 4
if ever needed.

My options appear to be:

1. Keep the 3.6.6 as bundled with Debian Wheezy.  Are there any
problems with this?  Currently all PCs are WinXP, but after the new
server goes in I’ll need to install some Windows 7/8 PCs.  I did
test a Windows 7 PC with the Debian Squeezy Samba (3.5.6?), and it
worked okay.

2. Install the Debian Backports 3.6.19 version (as suggested by
Louis).  I didn’t know about this until Louis mentioned it.

3. Try to get SerNet 3.6.20 working – I thought this might have
been an easy install, but I could be doing something wrong.  I’ve
had a quick look, and did see someone else had a similar problem
with SerNet on a Uubunto server, where it uninstalled Gnome.  There
was no follow-up so I’m not sure if this was resolved.

4. Look at Samba 4.  However, with my timescales, I wouldn’t want
to look at this if it’s a completely different beastie.  As I say,
I should be able to get the migration working to 3.6, but I’d be
worried that migrating to 4 might introduce a lot more problems and
complications.

I’m interested to know what you think would be the best option(s).

Thanks again for the help.