[Samba] Forcing Samba host to become domain/local master browser?

Winfried codecomplete at free.fr
Fri Nov 29 16:10:37 MST 2013

Hello

To investigate the issue I have with deleting files on a Samba host (a.k.a.
LINUX), I installed a second Samba server on my LAN (UBUNTU).

However, I didn't pay attention to browser-related infos, so that I guess
LINUX would remain the domain/local browser.

So I reconfigured the hosts thusly:
=================== LINUX # cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = LINUX

local master = no
=================== UBUNTU # cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = UBUNTU

wins support = yes
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
local master = yes
os level = 255

It's been 20mn since I reloaded both instances of Samba, but it appears that
LINUX is still the master browser:
============================== C:\Users\fred>nbtstat -a linux
Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.1] Scope Id: []

           NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

       Name               Type         Status
    LINUX          <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    LINUX          <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
    LINUX          <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered
    WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered
==============================

Besides, UBUNTU is still not reachable:
Server Name            Remark

\\FRED-PC
\\LINUX                Samba 3.6.6
The command completed successfully.

Should I just wait longer for UBUNTU to 1) be added to the list of hosts and
2) become the local/domain master browser, or should I run some command to
force LINUX to stop being the local browser?

Thank you.