[Samba] [3.6.6] Windows won't let me delete files

Winfried codecomplete at free.fr
Fri Nov 29 07:58:02 MST 2013

I favor using "security=share" instead of "security=user" because the former
doesn't require creating a user account with smbpasswd and prompting users
for a user/password when accessing the share.

But since Samba4 is a whole lot bigger and more complicated, I uninstalled
and went back to 3.6.6.

As Google showed other people were having the same issue with Windows7 (ie.
Samba would let them copy files from Windows to Samba, but they would get a
"File Access Denied" when trying to delete the files afterward), I performed
the same task from an XPSP3 host... but get the same result: "Access
denied".

=> However, I noticed this occurs for directories, while I can
create/modify/delete a single file. So this issue looks specific to
directories.

So I switched from "security=share" to "security=user", used "smbpasswd -a
nobody" to add that default Unix account to the Samba security database, and
I can finally delete directories, although "net view" triggers "Access
denied" unless the user previously authenticated:

==================
C:\Users\fred>net view \\linux
System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.
==================
C:\Users\fred>net use \\linux\ipc$ /user:nobody
The password or user name is invalid for \\linux\ipc$.

Enter the password for 'nobody' to connect to 'linux':
The command completed successfully.
==================
C:\Users\fred>net view \\linux
Shared resources at \\linux

Samba 3.6.6

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

tmp         Disk           No need for Unix/Samba passwords
The command completed successfully.
==================
C:\Users\fred>net use z: \\linux\tmp

The command completed successfully.

Bottom line with "security=share":
1. It has the advantage of not prompting the user for a user/password
2. It allows users to delete files, but not directories... but if users can
create/modify files through "security=share", logically, they should also be
able to delete directories they created.

It looks like some Samba/Windows compatibility issue.

So... does Samba support fully sharing (create/modify/delete) files +
directories without prompting users for a user/password, à la anonymous FTP?

Thank you.