[Samba] VFS shadow_copy2 with samba 4.0.9

David Keegel djk-samba at cyber.com.au
Mon Nov 25 23:18:11 MST 2013

I am trying to use shadow copy with Samba 4.0.9 on Debian 7 (wheezy),
Linux kernel 3.2.  Windows 7 clients on the LAN can not see Previous
Verions of files stored on the server, although I believe I have set
up directories with snapshots.

Here are some highlights from smb.conf :-

[global]
domain logons = yes

[Pluto]
path                    = /srv/share/Pluto
# Expose incremental backups to staff, so they can do their own
# restores via the Windows GUI (similar to Apple Time Machine).
vfs objects             = shadow_copy2
shadow:snapdir          = .snapshots
# it looks like the Samba 4.0.x version of shadow_copy2 ignores shadow:basedir
# and looks for snapshots in $mount_point/shadow:snapdir (where $mount_point
# is dynamically determined by samba based on path for this share).
shadow:basedir          = /srv/share
shadow:localtime        = no
#shadow:format          = @GMT-%Y.%m.%d-%H.%M.%S
#
ea support              = yes
store dos attributes    = yes
map archive             = no
map hidden              = no
map read only           = no

Windows clients can see the Pluto share with no problems, but looking in
Properties of a file in Pluto for Previous Versions just says no
previous versions available.

The same Windows 7 clients were able to see Previous Versions of files on
the old samba server (samba 3.4.7 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with kernel 2.6.32),
which had a pretty similar configuration and directory structure.

I have looked at
 http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/VFS.html#id2654956

On the new server I have tried using an absolute path for shadow:snapdir
(eg /srv/shadow-copy/srv/share/Pluto) and relative paths like
../../../srv/shadow-copy/srv/share/Pluto and .snapshots.

I just can't seem to get it to work.
Anyone have pointers to better doc on shadow copy for samba 4.0 or ideas
I can try?  Or even questions.

I have also tried
	log level=1 vfs:10
but I didn't see clues about where it was looking for shadow copy dirs.