[Samba] Which Samba version?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 21 01:28:36 MST 2013

On 21/11/13 08:07, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Hai,
>
> I can advice you to first upgrade the pdc to 3.6
> but, 3.6 is is not maintained anymore and only gets security fixes.
>
> Its better you invest your time in getting samba4 running.
>
> look here. Follow it to the letter and it wil work.
> and really, to the letter. ( its a domain join but you can use it to setup a single server also.
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2013-October/176380.html
> the steps are the same for debian wheezy.
>
> If your network is upgrading from XP to Win7, its really advices to go to samba4.
>
> and yes, i can understand why Rowland is saying get the source..
> But thats not why we have apt.
>
> Which os?
> I prefer debian, but for better hardware support on my Dell server im using Ubuntu 12.04 lts. ( adviced for OMSA )
> Yes debian also works fine on Dell but the drivers of ubuntu are adviced by dell.
> And yes Rowland, version (6) was only supported for about 2 1/2 years, but if you want stable..
> there is only 1 stable OS, which is ongoing, and which is safe with upgrading and thats Debian.
> Ive tested, so many distro's, and im always going back to debian. just look here http://distrowatch.com/
> en you see 1 2 3, mint, debian ubuntu .. ( all Debian os based )
I am not knocking debian, just pointing out that the long support time
seems to be a thing of the past, yes it is stable but just not for as
long. In my opinion (again for what it is worth) if you what to go down
the debian path, use Ubuntu 12.04 server, this will have support until
2017, possibly longer than wheezy will have, based on how long squeeze
lasted.

Rowland