[Samba] some samba4 AD questions, after a week of playing around

mourik jan heupink heupink at merit.unu.edu
Tue Nov 19 07:20:04 MST 2013

Hi,

I've been experimenting with samba4 for a little while now, and some
things go very smoothly, others not quite so. :-) However I have some
questions that hopefully some of you can help with.

1. In samba3/openldap we have seperate ou for groups and users. The
samba-tool classicupgrade migrates these both into one single CN=Users.
Is there a way to seperate them, like we had in samba3? (or is that not
recommendable anymore?)

2. We have many openldap users with more than one mail attribute. Works
good with postfix/dovecot. I found out that in AD users can only have
one single mail attribute? I'm guessing we're not alone in this... How
to best deal with this?

3. We would like to copy many more attributes than just the basic
username/displayname/groups and logonscript. I was advised here of the
list to build a script to connect to my ldap and update my sam
accordingly with ldbmodify (thread: http://marc.info/?t=138419682600017)
While I'm trying to do that now, I'm not a scripting guru, and it's not
progressing very quickly. Therefore: anyone has some more tips/clues
that could save me some time?

Thanks for some tips...!

MJ