[Samba] net ads dns update

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Fri Nov 15 04:04:19 MST 2013

Hi Kevin,

> Sorry, I meant the command net ads dns register. Just trying to see if there is a list of the DNS entries it adds to AD, as some of our samba implementations have not been compiled with dns register capability and we are not in a position to re-compile a new version.
>
> If I could determine what dns entries are added then maybe I could add them manually.

if you are talking about a member server, then you just have to add the
A field and the PTR field. If you need to have extra CNAME fields
pointing to that server, then you will probably have to add extra SPN on
the computer entry in order for kerberos to work properly.

If you are talking about the samba4 active directory server, then you
have a bunch of entries to add, and I think it will be easier for you to
use the samba_dnsupdate script, I think it should take care of all the
SRV fields (_kerberos._tcp.domain.local, _ldap._tcp.domain.local, etc.)
in addition of the A and PTR fields.

Cheers,

Denis