[Samba] Implementing Samba 4 in multi site environment

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Fri Nov 15 03:58:05 MST 2013

Hi Chandra,

> 1. about bandwidth, this thing one of my consideration because its still
> hard to have good internet bandwidth in good price here in indonesia,
> especially for our site office, most of it only have about upto 1 mbps
> bandwidth,
> currently  i monitor tcp traffic between my PDC and BDC of current samba 3
> installation it only takes about 10 kbps. each server, i hope not so
> different with samba 4

if you have few changes on your AD, then bandwidth comsumption is even
lower than what you have mesured now. I just ran a iftop on a remote
samba4 (70 users altogether on the two sites) and had 77kB of transfert
during the last 10 minutes... Moreover you can plan sync at specific
time with the "Active directory Sites and Services" management console.

And for the GPO sync, since there is no FRS on samba4 for now, you can
control with a rsync when you use bandwitdth and how much you use.

> 2. i will try RODC on site office latter on after finish trial on DC member
> on site office
> 3. if im using RODC, is user-client on site office can change their
> password from their pc on site office ?

Yes you can change your passwords. You should even be able to select
what password hashes you sync to the remote branch in order to avoid
having all your kerberos hashes laying around small offices without much
physical security around the server room.

Cheers,

Denis