[Samba] DNS error when join domain (Win 7 -> SAMBA 4)

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 16:08:49 MST 2013

petro at iei.org.br writes:

> I stood up a samba 4 (4.0.10) Active Directory domain controller on
> a Debian Wheezy server, configured in accordance with the SambaAD DC
> HOWTO <https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO> . I'm trying
> to join a Windows 7 Enterprise Edition client to the domain. Windows
> responds with:
>
> Error while attempting to join the domain
> "MYDOMAIN":
> Fails when trying to resolve the DNS name of a domain
> controller in the domain being accessed ..

Is the client getting its name resolution from the samba server?
Perhaps "tcpdump -pni ethN port 53" on the samba server, confirm that
the client is making the requests you expect.

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_a_windows_client_for_AD
suggests checking for clock drift as step #1, which I heartily
recommend, since it bit me last week.