[Samba] getting ERROR: failed to setup guest info. But I cannot setup a guest account due to security policies

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Nov 12 11:03:50 MST 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-12 at 12:52 -0500, Jon West wrote:
> Sorry by "Linux Users" I meant the literal definition, i.e. people using
> linux, not people with accounts on my RHEL machines, our users all have
> windows domain accounts as well. What I want is for someone to be able to
> login to a RHEL machine with AD credentials then mount (type cifs) a
> windows share (that resides on a native windows fileserver) without having
> to type in their windows username and password at every time of mounting
> (ie mount -t cifs //server/share username=ADname /Locallinuxdir) is that
> possible?

Hi
When you joined the domain, it should have created a keytab at
/etc/krb5.conf

If so, and winbind is running and you have corrected the idmap entries
in smb.conf and configured pam_winbind in /etc/pam.d/common-auth then
you can mount from the windows server but you'll have to kerberise it:
mount -t cifs //server/hare -o username=MACHINE$,multiuser,sec=krb5
where MACHINE$ is the name of your Red Hat client. Specifically, the
machine key which te domain join created.
HTH
Steve